Wednesday, August 18, 2010

De-Constructed Chili Salad

I am trying so hard to eat more healthy. I know that eating a ton of salads is key. I thought of turning many of my favorite dishes into salads. The first of my attempts is chili. Even though chili isn't all that fatting or high in carbs it's just not the same without the condiments. Like sour cream, cheese and let's not forget the chips! I decided to take apart my chili and turn it into a salad. I knew that the dressing would be key. In an effort to stay away from added fat I thought of using a vinaigrette. But it had to be the perfect vinaigrette. I had one in mind and researched it on the internet and voila, I found it. If any of you have ever eaten at Chiptole's(there's one in Sandy) it has an amazing vinaigrette for their salad. I just had to make it. It's simple, and delicious and it was the star of my salad. I could drizzle that dressing over anything! Burritos, tacos, salad, you name it it'll make anything better!

Here's the Salad:

All the fixins!



Protien of Choice:
Ground Turkey. So much better for you!!



The Fresh Ingredients:
Cilantro, radishes, green onion and avacado





The raw veggies I chose to use
Bell pepper, onion, corn.
No black beans are not a veggie, but an important part to chili non the less.





The veggies after being sauted.






The Viniagrette Recipe:

Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette Recipe


1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup honey
2 t Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 1/4 t ground chipotle powder
1 t lime juice
3/4 t black pepper
3/4 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t dried oregano
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Combine all ingredients, except oil in blender and blend on low speed
for ten seconds.

2. SLOWLY drizzle olive oil into blender on low speed.

3. Chill for at least an hour.

Yield: 1.5 Cups

I chose to use red and green leaf lettuce. I just dumped, stired and shoveled !!! It was seriously AMAZING!!

A MUST try!!

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

This sounds delicious! You should host ladies lunch once a week : )